Friday, August 31, 2007

This is a school NOT a business

I left school last evening with great intentions. I made a to-do list so that I would make the most of my last day of paid prep before the kids come on Monday. I was only able to get 3 of my things done today and here's why.

But first an explanation: In the DR, no, in Punta Cana we are "all" about image (substance comes second (I added that part)). We have been spending the last 2 weeks decorating then redecorating our rooms because of this frame of mind. 1 week ago, the wife of the owner of all Punta Cana properties came to view the school. Apparently she left our school director in tears over the not-so-constructive critisism she left in her wake. "Only public schools put things on their walls"... whatever. So she wanted us to put tagboard behind the things that were on the walls... so there are still things on their walls. Anyways, this morning I spent prepping and tackling my todo list. We had a long meeting and then went for lunch "cafeteria-wait-in-long-slow-moving-line style". After having just gotten my food and heading for my table I find myself being beckoned to my classroom as the Dona has arrived to view the rooms and it's my turn. Talk about being scared. I was trembling! It actually wasn't too bad though, I only had to change one thing (which I just finished doing). However, after lunch I noticed that there were teachers going in and out of one of the american's who has been sick's classroom (she still isn't at school today... poor girl). I ran over there to make sure they wern't taking her things and found myself being talked into staying there and preparing her room to be checked by the Dona... well yeah... I wound up having a lot of work to do in there since she's been gone for a few days now.... Just finished redecorating her room with the help of a few coworkers. She's going to be upset when she sees her room I think. Now that I'm thinking abuot that... I cannot remember if Ciro unplugged the hot glue gun.... I suppose we'll find out on Monday!

On top of everything, they ran out of water today. I was SO pissed off (pardon the language), but there is absolutely NO way I, pampered american, can work without water especially when it is in the 90's. I left and bought 6 bottles of water and a ring pop. 2 bottles for me, 4 for other people, and the ring pop for my friend Jose that works in the office. I think I needed to blow off some steam.

But anyways, I heard that the Dona wants that us teachers come to school with makeup, hair nicely done, hair cuts, perfume, etc. HELL NO! If they get us some air conditioning I will invest the time into doing that, but I cannot imagine that happening anytime this weekend. Also, apparently the dona gave one of the coordinators a box of Nair and told her to have the women with facial hair problems put it on before Monday. Wow, huh? But I also heard that Oscar de la Renta is going to give all of us perfume to wear to work, so that would be nice. Especially since I am out. Of well, Estinque de Allison isn't that bad right?

No comments: