Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Summer School

I've been TAing in an ESL K-1 Summer School classroom for the past 3 weeks. I have 2 days left with the students before I head out for what I am affectionately now referring to as 'the island'.

Anyways, we have been learning about climates and today we were learning about rain. So, the students made raindrops.


Really cute idea: it's crayon shavings (mostly blue, green, and purple) ironed in between two pieces of waxed paper with a construction paper border cut into a tear-drop shape. They turned out pretty nicely. The hardest part was getting the kids to understand what the objective was with the sharpening of the crayons. They wanted to show me their pointy crayons, but what I wanted them to show me was their big pile of crayon shavings. The crayons broke pretty easily in the pencil sharpeners we had the kids use. It took 1.5 hours to complete the project.



The students really liked this project. Lots of "oooooo" and "ahhh" and clapping after each one was ironed.


Tonight mom and I are finishing up the gardening before the party on Saturday. I think the yard is going to look pretty nice. My nails might not... I'll probably still have dirt under them!

No comments: